Soup — Root Vegetable Soup with Sake Lees & Saikyo Miso
Ingredients (5 to 6 servings):
* 850ml (28.7 fl oz) guinea fowl stock (or chicken stock)
* 30ml (2 tbsp) nigori-zake (unrefined sake)
* 100g (3.5 oz) sake lees
* 100g (3.5 oz) Saikyo miso (sweet yellow miso)
* 1.5g (0.05 oz) salt
* A splash of light soy sauce
* 1 lemon
* 1 leek
* 5g (0.2 oz) ginger
* 1 takanotsume "hawk claw" chili pepper
* 5g (0.2 oz) green pepper
* 250ml (8.5 fl oz) concentrated soy milk
1. In a pot, bring the soup stock and nigori-zake to a boil. While mixing, break up the sake lees and Saikyo miso and add them to the pot along with the salt, soy sauce, lemon, leek, ginger, hawk claw chili pepper and green pepper, and return to a boil.
2. Finally, add the concentrated soy milk and remove from heat just before it returns to a boil. Strain.
3. Serve with taro, carrot, burdock, lotus root, and other boiled root vegetables.