Side 2 — Bran-Pickled Cucumber
* 500g (17.6 oz) roasted rice bran
* 500ml (1.7 fl oz) water (boiled, then cooled)
* 60g (2.1 oz) salt
* 5cm (2 in) piece of kombu (kelp)
* 2 dried red chili peppers
* 1 cucumber
Rice Bran Bed for Pickling:
1. Dissolve the salt completely in the water, then add the roasted rice bran and mix.
2. Add the kombu and dried peppers.
1. Wash the cucumber in water, sprinkle it with salt, and rub in the salt with your hands. Put it in boiling water. When the color comes out, drop it in cold water, then wipe off any excess moisture.
2. Sprinkle the cucumber with salt, put it in the rice bran bed, and let pickle for half a day to one day.
3. Remove, and cut into pieces of the desired size.